What is Computing ?
The rapidly expanding technology of cellular communication, wireless LANs and satellite services will make information accessible anywhere and at any time.
The resulting computing environment, which is often referred to as mobile or nomadic computing, that no longer requires users to maintain a fixed and universally known position in the network and enables almost unrestricted mobility.
Mobility and portability will create an entire new class of applications and, possibly, new massive markets combining personal computing and consumer electronics.
A communication device can exhibit one of the following characteristics:
- Fixed and wired: This configuration describes the typical desktop computer in an office.
- Mobile and wired: Today Laptops are fall into this category.
- Fixed and wireless: This mode is used for installing networks at a war sites, emergency disaster like situations.
- Mobile and wireless: This is the most interesting case. No cable restricts the user, who can roam between different wireless networks.
What is Mobile Computing ?
Mobile Computing is a technology that allows transmission of data, voice, and video via a computer or any other wireless-enabled device. It can be defined as a computing environment of physical mobility. A mobile computing system allows a user to perform a task from anywhere while on move.
Mobile Computing is an umbrella term used to describe technologies that enable people to access network services anyplace, anytime, and anywhere.
Mobile Computing involves the following:
- Mobile communication
- Mobile communication refers to the infrastructure put in place to ensure that seamless and reliable communication.
- These would include devices such as protocols, services, bandwidth, and portals necessary to facilitate and support the stated services.
- Media is unguided/wireless; the infrastructure is basically radio wave-oriented.
- Mobile Hardware
- Mobile hardware includes mobile devices or device components that receive or access the service of mobility.
- Devices are laptops, smartphones, tablet Pc’s, Personal Digital Assistants.
- These devices have capable of sending and receiving signals.
- These devices are configured to operate in full- duplex means sending and receiving signals at the same time in wireless network.
- Mobile Software
- Mobile software is the actual program that runs on the mobile hardware.
- In other terms, it is the operating system of the appliance.
- It’s the essential component that operates the mobile device.
- It deals with the characteristics and requirements of mobile applications.